Honda F-1 RA272 Formula Racecar Open Wheel F1 GP
The 1965 Mexican Grand Prix was not just the last race of the season, but also the last Formula-One race using normally aspirated 1.5 liter displacement engines. The car that won this memorable even was Honda's highly competitive RA272 racing machine, driven by the skilled driver Richie Ginther. Honda was the first Japanese car manufacturer to participate in F-1 Grand Prix racing, and this was their first F-1 victory since entering the 1964 German Grand Prix. Honda competed in the 1964 season using their RA271 machine, piloted by the young American driver Ronnie Bucknum. Although the RA271 occassionally showed a glimpse of its hidden potential, it failed to record any remarkable results. A discouraging season lead Honda to develop a much more integrated F-1 racing machine. Following the 1964 season, Honda thoroughly improved the machine and redesignated it the RA272. Its high tech and powerful, transversely mounted V-12 cylinder engine was said to yield an amazing 220 plus horsepower. Richie Ginther joined the team beginning the season, and his racing experience helped the team in further refining the RA272. He gained 6th place in the Belgian and Dutch GP's, and finally won the Mexican victory on October 24th 1965. Taking the lead just after the start, Ginther's RA272 recorded a perfect win, without yielding the top position throughout the race. Partner Bucknum also earned 5th place, adding to Honda's racing laurels.
You Might Also Like
1/20 Honda F-1 RA272
- Tamiya Product Number: 20043
- Removable rear cowling and front nose cone.
- Complete V-12 cylinder engine detail.
- Synthetic rubber Good Year racing tires.
- Waterslide decals including the #11 and #12.
Requirements & Suggestions
- Plastic cement (TES3501) (TES3502) (PLS00002) (TAM87012) or glue (HLC107)
- TS-7 - Racing White (TAM85007)
- X-11 - Chrome Silver (TAM81011) (TAM81511)
- X-12 - Gold Leaf (TAM81012) (TAM81512)
- X-18 - Semi Gloss Black (TAM81018) (TAM81518)
- X-6 - Orange (TAM81006) (TAM81506)
- X-9 - Brown (TAM81009) (TAM81509)
- XF-1 - Flat Black (TAM81301) (TAM81701)
- XF-16 - Flat Aluminum (TAM81316) (TAM81716)
- XF-24 - Dark Grey (TAM81324) (TAM81724)
- XF-53 - Neutral Grey (TAM81353) (TAM81753)
- XF-56 - Metallic Grey (TAM81356) (TAM81756)
- XF-7 - Flat Red (TAM81307) (TAM81707)
- Paint Brushes
- Modeling Knife (EXL16001) (XACX3627) (EXL16018)
- Pin Vise (TAM74050) (ZON37-145) (SQU10801) (XACX7144)
- File or Emery Board
- Sprue Cutter (XUR410A) (TES8940) (EXL55594)
- Tweezers (TAM74003) (EXL30416) (TES50632C)
- Scissors (XUR9180ET) (TAM74068) (TAM74031) (EXL55611)
- Water for Decals
- Adult Supervision
- Keep small parts and sharp edges away from children ages 3 and under.
- Care should always be taken when using tools and modeling knives.